I came up with this very special cake for my most special person, Ali and I had some celebrating to do last week and it warranted some of his favourite things in a cake! I kind of made this up as I went along, and it really worked! It was delicious. Be warned that the Marshmallow Fluff will ooze out a bit when you slice it, so you could make a frosting with it in to make it more stable but I love it as it is. I'll eat it of a spoon from the jar if you'll let me. Anyway! This is a peanut butter sponge, with Marshmallow Fluff, salted caramel and chocolate buttercream between each layer - topped with more chocolate buttercream, chopped salted peanuts, salted caramel drizzle and chopped Snickers bits. It's deliciously moist.
- 150g butter at room temperature
- 260g smooth peanut butter
- 380g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 240g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 120ml whole milk
- 750g icing sugar
- 180g butter at room temperature
- 90ml milk
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- Marshmallow Fluff
- Salted Peanuts
- 1 Snickers bar
1. Preheat oven to 160c (fan)/180c/350F/gas mark 4. Grease and line 3 20cm tins.
2. In a large mixing bowl cream the butter, peanut butter and sugar.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing for a few minutes after each addition.
4. Stir in the vanilla extract.
5. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl, add a third of the flour to the creamed mixture and beat well. Pour one third of the milk in and beat again. Repeat these steps until all the flour and milk has been added.
6. Divide the mixture evenly between your 3 tins.
7. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 mins, or until a cake skewer comes out clean.
8. Make your salted caramel sauce, method here.
10. To make your buttercream, mix the butter, sugar and cocoa powder together adding the milk gradually on a slow speed. When the ingredients are mixed, turn the speed to high and mix for around 4 minutes to get it really fluffy.
11. Spread the marshmallow fluff and the chocolate buttercream between each layer of cake and drizzle with your caramel sauce. On the top layer, cover with chopped salted peanuts and chopped Snickers.
12. Serve with a big cup of tea!