Rainbow Connection Vanilla Layer Cake.
I've had this recipe in mind ever since I saw Whisk Kid's amazing version. I wanted to find a recipe that was more adaptable for British ingredients and came across this recipe by The Pink Whisk which worked wonderfully.
This was my first time using gel food colourings and I can't believe I've never tried them before, I won't ever be going back to liquid colourings! These are neater, easier to control and you need less. I bought mine off ebay in a rainbow set.
- 500g self raising flour.
- 500 grams butter, softened.
-500g caster sugar.
-Gel colour pastes.
Cream cheese icing ingredients:
- 140g butter, softened.
-400g cream cheese.
-800g icing sugar, sifted.
Preheat the oven to 160 C fan/180C/Gas Mark 4
1. Cream the butter and sugar.
2. Add the eggs one at a time, also adding a spoonful of the flour with each egg.
3. Once the mixture is combined, divide it into 6 separate bowls.
4. Use the gel colours for each mixture,
5. Transfer to the cake pans and bake for 15-18 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
Cream Cheese Icing:
1. Beat the butter
2. Add the cream cheese and mix until well combined.
3. Add the sifted icing sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
4. Once the cakes have cooled, ice and enjoy!
Adding a crumb coat.